These Easy Monkey Bread Muffins are perfectly sized for individual fingers and only require 5 ingredients! Made with cinnamon, Pillsbury Grands biscuit dough and banana pudding mix, they are a tasty and fun party dessert to make without needing a Bundt pan! So grab your muffin tins and let's get baking!
What Is Monkey Bread Made of?
Monkey bread is a very popular dessert or sweet treat here in America. I first had it about 10 years ago, in bundt pan form, and fell in love ever since!
A thick coating of brown sugar, cinnamon and butter all baked into little balls of dough that you eat with your fingers!? Sign me up!!
Why Do They Call It Monkey Bread?
Monkey bread or as some call it "pull apart" bread, is called Monkey bread because of HOW we eat the bread.
With our fingers!
Monkey bread is made by throwing bite sized pieces of dough together with cinnamon, sugar and butter into a large bundt pan baked and served for all to PICK at with their fingers.
Here is an article that explains a little more about what monkey bread is.
How To Make Mini Monkey Bread Muffins
Normal monkey bread recipes are baked in a bundt pan.
However, these monkey bread muffins are made without a bundt pan and with a MUFFIN TIN, aka, a cupcake tin, instead which most of us have!
- Cut your biscuits into small chunks and coat or toss them well in a cinnamon sugar mixture on in this case, the pudding mix. (I suggest using a regular sized muffin tin as opposed to a mini muffin tin. The mini size tin will be too small.)
- Then press into a muffin tin lined with liners.
- Bake until golden brown and sticky!
Using muffin tin liners makes them so convenient for sharing especially for those germaphobes out there! 🙂
📃 NOTE: You can print exact quantities with detailed instructions below!
Choosing Your Biscuit Dough
I use store-bought Pillsbury Grands canned biscuit dough for these monkey bread muffins. It is tasty and easy to find in the store. Plus, I love that it comes in different sizes.
What you need to do is simply open your canned biscuit dough and chop, or snip with scissors, each biscuit into bite sized pieces. Then toss those pieces in the cinnamon, sugar and banana pudding mixture and bake!
Tips For Serving Your Monkey Bread Muffins
- If you are serving these for a group of people, I would recommend filling your muffins liners before guests arrive and store them in the fridge. Then just pop them in the oven when dessert time is near so your guests will have WARM muffins.
- Your muffins should sit about 5 minutes before serving, but don't let them sit TOO long. Warm and gooey is the best way to eat them!
- You should know that these monkey breads can be pulled apart very easily so using muffin liners is key to holding them together.
- Brush the tops with butter (or brandy butter) when they come out! This will help make your monkey bread nice and shiny while adding some moisture the top of each monkey bread.
I used pudding MIX. Not the actual pudding.
The additional favor is amazing! Trust me.
I have been on an instant pudding kick lately. I always stock up on a few boxes when I am in the food store. They make such a quick dessert and lead to so many possibilities!
You've got to check out these pudding desserts too!
Vanilla Pudding Puppy Chow Recipe
The BEST Mocha Vanilla Pudding Cookies
So when I began testing these monkey bread muffins, I wondered how I could incorporate bananas into my monkey bread. I thought about using real bananas cut up or mashed up but that would prevent the dough from sticking together so banana pudding seemed like the best option.
Adding banana pudding makes the muffins SUPER moist with just enough banana flavoring.
You could really use ANY flavor pudding in this! I just think the banana goes so well but vanilla would be awesome too!
Try adding some banana slices to the top of your monkey bread muffins to show your guests that they have bananas in them. (or at least are banana flavored!)
What would REALLY take these over the top would be to flambé the bananas in some RUM then pour the bananas over top...just sayin'...;)
Here are some other desserts you may also like:
The BEST Mini Cheesecakes (with Cookie Crust)
Blueberry Cheese Crescent Dough Rounds
Chocolate Covered Banana Walnut Bites
Mini Banana Pudding Monkey Bread Muffins
- 2 10.2 oz. Can Biscuit Dough (10 biscuits)
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Instant Banana Pudding
- 8 Tbsp. Melted Butter (unsalted)
- ¼ Tsp. Salt (*If using unsalted butter)
- Open your can of biscuits and pull them apart. Cut each biscuit into 9 bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Mix cinnamon, sugar, pudding and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt your butter in another bowl using the microwave.
- Coat mini biscuit pieces in butter then dredge them in the cinnamon sugar pudding mixture. It is easier to do it all at once.
- Add 9 pieces to a lined muffin tin and press down firmly. You should be able to fill 10 tins.
- Bake at 350° F for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
- Optional** Brush the tops of your banana breads with remaining butter and place banana slices on top. Use a torch to flambee the bananas if desired.
- These can be frozen in the muffin liners and baked at another time.
- Bake 75% and finish off the baking before serving to make sure your breads are nice and warm!
- The muffin liners help to keep the bread together so make sure you use them!
These EASY Monkey Bread Muffins with Banana Pudding are perfectly sized for individual fingers and only require 5 ingredients!
Love the idea of individual monkey breads. The flavors of banana, cinnamon and sugar are perfect. So easy to make! Great recipe.
Bite Sized Kitchen
Thanks Michelle! 🙂
Oh my goodness, these look AMAZING! and EASY!! and just look at those perfectly browned gooey banana slices... nice job! Going to have to try this for sure! 😉
Bite Sized Kitchen
Thanks Catherine!! 🙂
I love these Cuties and definitely love the idea of individualized. The germs part in the post grossed me out. 😂
Bite Sized Kitchen
Thank you! Lol, sorry! It's what we all are thinking but don't want to say!