This Jalapeno Simple Syrup is a fun way to spice up your favorite cocktail or mocktail! You just need 3 simple ingredients and 20 minutes to whip up this sweet and spicy syrup. Add it to margaritas, strawberry lemonade, or even a pitcher of Limoncello spritz to get the party started.
What Is Jalapeno Simple Syrup?
Jalapeno simple syrup is going to be your newest obsession! It's a sweet simple syrup that's been infused with the spicy flavor of fresh jalapenos.
Simple syrup is essentially equal parts sugar and water that get boiled until the sugar is dissolved. Once cooled, you can use your homemade simple syrup in various drinks to add sweetness and flavor.
You can have pretty much any flavor simple syrup, from strawberry, to brown sugar, or even lavender. The syrups add a fun burst of flavor to cocktails, mocktails, or even lemonade, and are a great ingredient to keep on hand in case you need to impress unexpected guests!
🥵How Spicy Is It?
I get asked this question the most whenever I talk about my jalapeno simple syrup recipe!
If I'm being honest, I personally can't handle a TON of heat. I prefer my food to be "medium hot", which is exactly how I would describe this syrup.
While it is spicy and can definitely add a kick to your favorite cocktail, it's not so overwhelmingly spicy that you'll feel like your tongue is on fire. You can also adjust the flavor to your taste and add more or less jalapenos as desired.
🛒Ingredients In Jalapeno Simple Syrup
*full ingredients list and measurements can be found in recipe card below*
- Jalapenos: Make sure you use fresh jalapenos for this! Canned are usually pickled and will NOT taste good
- Sugar: I recommend using regular granulated sugar for this recipe! It has a neutral taste, but add necessary sweetness
- Water: Usually water isn't listed as an ingredient, but since it's necessary to make a simple syrup I added it! Just in case you're wondering, any water will do 😉
How To Make A Homemade Jalapeno Simple Syrup
- Add sliced jalapenos, water, and sugar to a saucepan and set over medium heat
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Once thickened, turn the heat off, strain the syrup, and let it cool
- Use immediately or store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
Ways To Use This Spicy Simple Syrup
I LOVE adding this spicy jalapeno simple syrup to a margarita, but that's not the only way to use it!
Try adding a splash to:
- Limoncello spritz (lemons + jalapenos are amazing!!)
- Strawberry lemonade
- Your favorite mocktail
- Or use it to rim a cocktail glass!
You can keep your homemade jalapeno simple syrup in an airtight container with a lid in the fridge. It will stay good for up to 2 weeks.
You can also freeze it, if you'd prefer! Frozen simple syrup will last for up to 3 months, but use a plastic container instead of glass.
🙋♂️Frequently Asked Questions
Yes!! The seeds are what gives the syrup its "spice." Don't worry though, the syrup gets strained to remove any seeds once its been cooked.
A homemade simple syrup will last for up to 2 weeks. Just be sure to store it properly in an airtight container with a lid!
Yes, you'll want to refrigerate the syrup once it been made.
More Simple Syrup Recipes:
Jalapeno Simple Syrup
- 1 Cup` Water
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 3 Jalapenos (sliced)
- Add water, sugar, and sliced jalapenos to a small saucepan and set over medium heat
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low so it's just simmering
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- After your jalapeno simple syrup has thickened up, turn the heat off, strain to remove seeds, and let cool completely
- Once the syrup has cooled, pour into a glass jar with a lid and use immediately or store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks