This Roquefort Cheese and Pear "Bruschetta" with Walnuts is a fun twist on your classic bruschetta. This recipe has everything I love in a colder weather salad but made into a bite-sized appetizer that's perfect for entertaining around the holidays!
This appetizer was inspired by a salad I always get at a local restaurant this time of year. It is always so tasty and has just the perfect ratio of lettuce to pear to cheese to nuts in every bite!
So I wanted to create a way to enjoy this salad at home without forks! They remind me of a crostini but healthier! This appetizer is made without bread making it gluten free and much healthier than your classic bruschetta!
Guests will be so surprised when they see this appetizer on your table! It is fun, good for you and packed with flavor. Thinly sliced pears piled high with spinach, nuts, craisins and roquefort cheese drenched in a flavorful sauce or in this case, "dressing".
The Vinaigrette Dressing
This pear appetizer is topped with a delicious sweet and tangy dressing. I used apple cider vinegar because it is what I had on hand and it is lighter than a balsamic. If you don't have ACV on hand, try a white wine or champagne vinegar instead! Either would be delicious!
Roquefort Cheese Substitutes
Roquefort Cheese is a sheep milk cheese from the south of France. You should be able to find it at most grocery stores. It is white, tangy, crumbly and slightly salty with distinctive veins of blue mold. It goes very well with the acidity and sweetness of this appetizer. If you don't have roquefort on hand, try one of these instead:
- Bleu d'Auvergne
I plan on making this appetizer for New Year's Eve this year so of course, I have to have a good wine to serve alongside! Here are some recommended options:
Here is a detailed article on what wine to serve with roquefort cheese!
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Sauvignon Blanc
Have you checked out these other cold appetizers?
Stuffed Greek Cucumber Cups Appetizer
Roasted Baby Peppers Stuffed With Feta
The Ultimate Greek Meze Platter
Caesar Salad Parmesan Cups
Roquefort Cheese and Pear "Bruschetta" with Walnuts
- 2 Pears (I like Anjou or Bartlett)
- ¼ Cup Craisins
- ½ Cup Fresh Spinach or Arugula
- ¼ oz Crumbled Roquefort Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Minced Red Onion
- ½ Cup Chopped Candied Pecans
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar (or white)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Trim the stem and slice your pears while still whole into ½" slices. Remove any seeds.
- Whisk together your vinaigrette dressing in a small bowl until emulsified. Toss in ALL of the other ingredients.
- Lay your pear slices flat onto a large serving dish and scoop a spoonful of the roquefort and walnut topping onto each slice. Serve chilled!