These Healthy Banana Walnut Mini Muffins are an easy breakfast option for on-the-go parents or kids. They are GF and sugar free made with coconut flour, honey and yogurt which keeps them super healthy and also extra moist!
Banana walnut muffins are my FAVORITE kind of muffin, after pumpkin muffins, of course.
Growing up in my parents bakery, my father would make the "best" muffins...in my opinion. Side note...there is no better smell than being in a bakery with hundreds of muffins baking. Pure heaven.
But he never made mini muffins. I think because they are too time consuming for the price.
But miniature muffins are the best for those busy mornings when we don't have time to sit and eat breakfast (me every day).
They defrost super quickly because of their small size which is great. So if you take them with you, they should be ready to eat by the time you get to work!
If I remember, I will take them out when I wake up so they are defrosted before I leave. Sometimes I will toss them in the toaster oven, only if I'm super early!!
Either way, their small size makes them ideal for busy mornings on-the-go!
Most muffins are not very healthy but if you replace the sugar with honey and use coconut flour, they are pretty darn healthy.
Most muffins contain saturated fats that make them not so good for you.
But these mini muffins ARE healthy! They are sugar-free, gluten-free and contain almost zero saturated fat!
Walnuts themselves are a super healthy nut with HUGE health benefits. Read about the many benefits here.
To sweeten these bite-sized muffins up, I used honey, my all-time favorite way to naturally sweeten food. I also used coconut flour in this recipe. I like it more than almond flour because of the texture as well as the fact that a little goes a long way! One bag of coconut flour lasts me weeks rather than days.
Important Tip! Make sure you use super ripe bananas like this one here!
Brown bananas are naturally sweeter so combined with the honey, your muffins will be perfectly sweetened!
You can use any muffin tin size but the larger the tin, the longer the baking time!
Another tip* Don't place these directly in the tin because they will be tricky to remove. You can either use a cupcake liner or strip of wax paper underneath to pull your muffins out when they are cool.
More mini breakfast ideas you might like:
Mini Banana Walnut Muffins (with Coconut Flour)
- 1 Overly RIPE Brown Banana (*This is important!)
- ¼ Cup + 1 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Tbsp. Plain Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil ((or substitute 2 Tbsp. butter))
- ¾ Tsp. Vanilla
- ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Chopped Walnuts ((Optional))
- ¾ Tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- Whisk the wet ingredients until nice and frothy then add the banana until full incorporated.
- Add your dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Line your muffin tins with liners or a strip of wax paper so you can easily remove the muffins. Fill your tins to just underneath the lip of the tin.
- Sprinkle more walnuts on top and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool and remove from muffin tin. Top with butter and more honey or enjoy as is on-the-go!