These Mini Cornbread Muffins are sweet and easy to make! I used a little maple syrup which takes them to another level, TRUST ME! They're the perfect breakfast pairing or for serving as a side dish at your next BBQ or alongside a batch of chili!
These mini cornbread muffins are HOMEMADE from scratch which makes them 10x better.
NO Jiffy cornbread mix here!
I used fine or medium ground yellow cornmeal which I highly recommend. (See why below!)
- Stone Ground Yellow Corn Meal- I recommend fine or medium ground cornmeal for the best results.
- Flour- Any all purpose or wheat flour will work.
- Baking Soda & Powder- This helps your muffins rise.
- Cinnamon- This adds some warm spice.
- Brown Sugar- For some sweetness! I love the deep molasses flavor brown sugar gives.
- Butter- All cornbread needs butter!
- Eggs- To help hold the muffin together.
- Pure Maple Syrup- To add more sweetness.
- Sour Cream- Adds a tang as well as some moisture.
- Whole Milk- For moisture and to maintain a rich flavor.
- Add your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in your wet ingredients and blend until JUST incorporated. You do not want to overmix your muffin batter.
- Grease a mini (or regular sized) muffin tin with butter or cooking spray.
- Scoop your muffin batter into each tin and bake.
- Let cool and serve with honey and butter on the side.
📃 NOTE: You can print the FULL recipe with all ingredients & detailed instructions below!
🌽Know Your Cornmeal
Cornmeal can be quite complex.
They have fine, medium, and coarsely ground cornmeal not to mention, white, yellow and blue!
Stone-ground is another option as opposed to rolled.
Different cornmeal is better for different recipes. For example, polenta and grits vs. corn muffins require different levels of coarseness.
Anything but coarsely ground is best for making cornbread muffins! Fine or medium ground is recommended.
Options For Baking
You have a couple different options...
- You can bake them in mini muffins tins like I did in this recipe. If you do NOT have a mini muffin tin, see option #2.
- You can bake these in larger muffin tins! Just know you will need to bake them longer.
- You can bake your cornbread in a brownie pan or any rectangular baking pan. Nothing too large though! I would aim for a 9 x 9, 11 x 7 or 9 x 13 pan. Then you can cut your cornbread into bite-sized squares. This is easier for serving.
Tip* Brush these bites with a mixture of melted butter and maple syrup right when they come out of the oven for an extra sweet, decadently moist cornbread.
Other side dishes you may like:
📽 If you love entertaining at home, subscribe to my YouTube channel!!
Mini Cornbread Muffins From Scratch
- 1 Mini Muffin Tin
- 2 Cups Fine or Medium Ground Yellow Corn Meal
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1½ Tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1½ Tsp. Salt
- ½ Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Sticks (8 oz.) Butter (room temperature)
- 3 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ⅔ Cup Sour Cream
- 1½ Cup Whole Milk
- Add all dry ingredients, except sugar, to a large bowl and mix.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on high for 1 minute.
- Turn down to medium speed and add eggs one at a time followed by the rest of the wet ingredients. Scrape down the sides with rubber spatula as you mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Grease muffin tins and use a small spoon or mini ice cream scoop to fill each tin about ¾ of the way up.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes on the middle to top rack or until middle comes out clean with a toothpick.
- Brush some extra maple syrup onto the tops of each hot muffin while still in the tin.
- When slightly cooled, turn muffin tin upside down onto counter and shake. Muffins should pop out. Hit the edge of the tin on counter to shake them out if needed.
- Serve with butter or as is. Freeze if saving for later!