Pinwheel sandwiches are a fun, easy and versatile way to feed a crowd. They can be made ahead and served cold if need be! Here are some fun and delicious sandwich roll-ups you can make and serve as an appetizer, lunch or even a light dinner to your guests!
I love pinwheels. They are so tasty and if made right, can be the hit of your party. I especially love how versatile they are and the fact that they can be served cold!
If you are not familiar with sandwiches turned into a pinwheel, they are typically made with soft tortillas or bread.
If you love mini sandwiches, check out 22 Mini Sandwich Ideas (Party Appetizer Sliders)!
🥪How To Make Pinwheel Sandwiches
Choose your tortilla
You can choose between flour or corn tortilla, spinach, white or sun dried tomato! Grab the largest burrito sized tortillas you can find!
Soft Tortillas vs. Corn Tortillas
Flour tortillas are usually used as opposed to corn since they are a bit softer and easier to work with however both would be delicious! Many stores sell tortillas in many different varieties from white, wheat, spinach, tomato, low carb or even gluten free!
✔️A helpful tip when making your pinwheels is to spread a creamy base or dressing onto your tortilla to act a the 'glue' helping to hold it all together. Your filling can get as creative as you like.
Choose Your Main Ingredient
Lunch meats are always a great option as they are easy to find and already pre-sliced. You can add any kind of cheese and also throw in some fresh veggies for some crunch and freshness.
Vegetarian? Add beans, tofu or make a veggie wrap! Some of my veggie favorites are spinach/lettuce, bell peppers, red onions, avocados, or celery.
I also love adding bacon bits for added flavor to any pinwheels.
Choose Your Spread
To ensure your wrap will hold together and not taste dry, you need something wet and creamy to spread onto your tortilla.
Most pinwheels are spread with a cream cheese or sour cream based dressing. You can use refried beans or hummus as a dairy free pinwheel option!
Pinwheel Sandwich Recipes
Below you will find a round-up of easy and delicious pinwheels and roll-ups that would be perfect to serve at any party! Most are meant to be served cold or at room temperature and can be made in advance!
Puff Pastry Herb Pinwheels
Puff pastry pinwheels are filled with herbs, garlic and butter for the ultimate flakey, buttery, pinwheel.
Creamy, tangy, crunchy, these veggie pinwheels will satisfy more than just vegetarians. They are flavorful and so fun to prepare! The addition of crunchy onions are my favorite part!
Turkey Avocado Roll Ups w/ Thyme Dressing
These turkey roll-ups are the best cold snack to serve to your guests when you don’t want to fuss in the kitchen. The dressing is what takes these everyday turkey roll ups over the top. It will become your go-to dressing for almost any sandwich you make!
Roast Beef Tortilla Roll Ups
Everyone needs a delicious protein-packed tortilla roll-ups recipe! Why? They are ridiculously delicious and my easy recipe is one step better because it's loaded with fresh mouthwatering roast beef. Ready in minutes, these tasty treats are perfect for so many occasions, from an after school snack to feed a hungry crowd at a family party.
Rainbow Vegetable Pinwheels
This pinwheels recipe is the perfect finger food for your next gathering. Packed with rainbow colored veggies and chickpeas, not only are they nutritious but also super easy to make. Serve them up for the holidays, BBQ parties, game night, grilling party, birthday party or simply just pack them for lunch, they are always a hit.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
Up-level the classic buffalo dip into an easy to grab but even easier to eat buffalo chicken pinwheel!
Caesar BLT Roll-Ups
Quick and easy party appetizer or lunch recipe. These Caesar BLT Pinwheel Roll Ups are bacon, lettuce, tomato, Caesar, and cream cheese rolled up in tortillas.
Hatch Green Chile Chorizo Pinwheels
These pinwheels are filled with a cream cheese mixture, chorizo sausage, and chile peppers! A delicious and filling snack for everyone!
Cranberry Cream Cheese Pinwheels
These cranberry cream cheese pinwheels are on repeat for us this holiday season. Tortilla roll ups with cranberries and cream cheese with a lovely dose of shredded cheddar, chopped pecans and green onion? What’s not to repeat? This is the cranberry cream cheese appetizer you have been looking for!
Baked Spiral "Hawaiian Roll" Sliders
A fun riff on the always-popular baked party sandwiches, these cute Spiral Hawaiian Roll Sliders are easy to make, super adaptable, and so much healthier, too! We’ve got three different variations for you to try for any party!
Herbed Chevre Spinach and Salmon Pinwheels
These smoked salmon pinwheels are the perfect party appetizer. They're healthy, easy to make, and are filled with a salmon herb goodness!
Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
These delicious and healthy Smoked Salmon Pinwheels are a great way to use up leftover smoked salmon. They’re perfect for a quick snack or as a fancy appetizer! If you love smoked salmon, you'll find these pinwheels irresistible. Dare you to eat just one!
These roll-ups are the perfect way to use up leftover ground beef! Easy to make and perfect for lunch or a game day meal!
Turkey Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
These easy turkey pinwheels are packed with the rich flavors of bacon, cheddar, and ranch. They are a delicious lunch, appetizer, or snack!
Pesto Turkey Pinwheels w/ Smoked Provolone
Loaded with fresh ingredients, these roll-ups are perfect for a simple lunch, party platter or even a snack. Smoked provolone pairs well with this turkey and wrapped in a pesto cream cheese mixture that you will be coming back for more again and again!
Easy Pizza Pinwheels
You just have to love these pepperoni pizza pinwheels! They are made with just 6 ingredients and are a favorite snack for adults and kids!
These delicious and cheesy pinwheel "snacks" are made with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and sour cream so they are super creamy and so tasty!
Pickle Dip Pinwheels
Creamy, crunchy and full of flavor these pickle pinwheels are full of cream cheese, sliced ham and diced pickles. The perfect party appetizer!
Final Tips For Making Your Pinwheels
Pinwheels are such a great appetizer or finger food to serve at any party! Once you decide what roll-ups to prepare, make sure you follow these tips to make sure they come out perfect every time!
- Use a sharp knife to slice your pinwheels!
- The inside of each pinwheel is what people look at first so make sure you add in bright ingredients like fresh herbs, red peppers, spinach, etc.
- Even if you are using one recipe, think about using multiple types of tortilla or bread to add more color and variety.
- Allowing your pinwheels to set in the fridge for a few hours or make them night before. This will make slicing them easier and neater!
- Wrapping your pinwheels in plastic wrap helps them set up overnight!
- Serve your pinwheels with different sauces on the side for guests to spread onto their pinwheels! (Or include a different spread, or dressing, inside a few of your pinwheels!)
- Prepare more than one option. Make some gluten free, some with meat, some vegetarian, and then assemble a large party "sandwich" tray for your guests to choose from.
Check out these other sandwiches:
Funeral Sandwiches (Hot Ham n' Cheese Sliders)
Vegetarian Eggplant Party Sandwiches (Primo's Bada Bing Copycat!)
Grilled Cheese Sandwich w/ Cream Cheese, Roasted Peppers & Basil
English Tea Finger Sandwiches (3 Recipes!)
Turkey and Cheese Roll Ups with Creamy Thyme Dressing
Creamy Thyme Dressing
- 2 Tbsp. Mayonaisse
- 1 ½ Tsp. Honey
- 1 Tsp. Dijon
- ½ Tsp. Minced fresh thyme ((2-3 sprigs))
- ⅛ Tsp. Garlic Powder
- ⅛ Tsp. Onion Powder
- Good Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 2 Large Flour Tortillas ((I used 9" tortillas))
- 8 Slices Turkey Breast (sliced thin)
- 8 Slices American or Cheddar Cheese (sliced thin)
- 1 Cup Mixed Greens, Romaine or Spinach Mix
- ½ Large Avocado, Thinly Sliced
- ¼ Large Thinly Sliced Red Onion (*Optional)
- Mix up your dressing in a small bowl.
- Lay out your tortillas and spread a generous amount of dressing onto one side.
- Add a layer of mixed greens, followed by a few slices of red onion (if using), followed by 4 slices of cheese, followed by 4 slices of turkey, and finally 3 or 4 slices of avocado layered down the middle.
- Start at one end and roll your wrap tightly while keeping everything in tact. When you get to the end, add a bit more dressing on the edge of the tortilla which will act as the 'glue' to hold everything together.
- Place seam-side down and trim off ends. Then cut your wrap into 5-6 roll ups using a large, sharp knife!
- Serve with more dressing on the side if you prefer!
Tried the recipe? I'd love to hear your thoughts below!