Pinwheel sandwiches are a fun, easy and versatile way to feed a crowd. They can be made ahead and served cold if need be! Here are some fun and delicious sandwich roll-ups you can make and serve as an appetizer, lunch or even a light dinner to your guests!
How To Make Pinwheel Sandwiches
I love pinwheels. They are so tasty and if made right, can be the hit of your party. I especially love how versatile they are and the fact that they can be served cold!
If you are not familiar with sandwiches turned into a pinwheel, they are typically made with soft tortillas or bread.
If you love mini sandwiches, check out 22 Mini Sandwich Ideas (Party Appetizer Sliders)!
Flour tortillas are usually used as opposed to corn since they are a bit softer and easier to work with however both would be delicious! Many stores sell tortillas in many different varieties from white, wheat, spinach, tomato, low carb or even gluten free!
Using sandwich bread to make pinwheels is a popular trend as well! How to make pinwheels using bread is simple. Like tortillas, you can also choose your variety of bread from white to wheat to rye.
Using bread is a little trickier since it is usually cut smaller in size. Here are the steps to take when using bread:
- First you need to cut, or trim, the crust from your bread. Stacking them allows you to save time.
- Next you will need to use a rolling pin to flatten out each slice. Kind of like rolling out pizza dough. This creates a larger surface to fill or stuff and makes rolling them easier! Some people like to stick multiple slices together to create an even larger "canvas" to fill and roll.
- Next, fill or spread whatever you desire inside each slice and tightly roll them up.
- Letting your rolls chill in the fridge for a little to allow the filling to set is important.
- Slice into small pinwheels. Your rounds should be about 1" wide.
✔️A helpful tip when making your pinwheels is to spread a creamy base or dressing onto your tortilla to act a the 'glue' helping to hold it all together. Your filling can get as creative as you like.
Lunch meats are always a great option as they are easy to find and already pre-sliced. You can add any kind of cheese and also throw in some fresh veggies for some crunch and freshness.
My favorites are spinach/lettuce, bell peppers, red onions, avocados, or celery. I also love adding bacon or even chips!
Below you will find a round-up of easy and delicious pinwheels and roll-ups that would be perfect to serve at any party! Most are meant to be served cold or at room temperature and can be made in advance!
Everyone needs a delicious protein-packed tortilla roll-ups recipe! Why? They are ridiculously delicious and my easy recipe is one step better because it's loaded with fresh mouthwatering roast beef. Ready in minutes, these tasty treats are perfect for so many occasions, from an after school snack to feed a hungry crowd at a family party.
This pinwheels recipe is the perfect finger food for your next gathering. Packed with rainbow colored veggies and chickpeas, not only are they nutritious but also super easy to make. Serve them up for the holidays, BBQ parties, game night, grilling party, birthday party or simply just pack them for lunch, they are always a hit.
These pinwheels are filled with a cream cheese mixture, chorizo sausage, and chile peppers! Yum!
These cranberry cream cheese pinwheels are on repeat for us this holiday season. Tortilla roll ups with cranberries and cream cheese with a lovely dose of shredded cheddar, chopped pecans and green onion? What’s not to repeat? This is the cranberry cream cheese appetizer you have been looking for!
These party pinwheels are an easy and stunning vegetarian appetizer that you can mix and match depending what you have on hand. I promise you these we will be the first thing to go!
These easy turkey pinwheels are packed with the rich flavors of bacon, cheddar, and ranch. They are a delicious lunch, appetizer, or snack!
You just have to love these pepperoni pizza pinwheels! They are made with just 6 ingredients and are a favorite snack for adults and kids!
These delicious and cheesy pinwheel "snacks" are made with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and sour cream so they are super creamy and so tasty!
Creamy, crunchy and full of flavor these pickle pinwheels are full of cream cheese, sliced ham and diced pickles. The perfect party appetizer!
Final Tips For Making Your Roll-ups
Pinwheels are such a great appetizer or finger food to serve at any party! Once you decide what roll-ups to prepare, make sure you follow these tips to make sure they come out perfect every time!
- Use a sharp knife to slice your pinwheels!
- The inside of each pinwheel is what people look at first so make sure you add in bright ingredients like fresh herbs, red peppers, spinach, etc.
- Even if you are using one recipe, think about using multiple types of tortilla or bread to add more color and variety.
- Allowing your pinwheels to set in the fridge for a few hours or make them night before. This will make slicing them easier and neater!
- Wrapping your pinwheels in plastic wrap helps them set up overnight!
- Serve your pinwheels with different sauces on the side for guests to spread onto their pinwheels! (Or include a different spread, or dressing, inside a few of your pinwheels!)
- Prepare more than one option. Make some gluten free, some with meat, some vegetarian, and then assemble a large party "sandwich" tray for your guests to choose from.
Check out these other sandwiches: