This Hormel Chili Puff Pastry Appetizer is made with just 5 ingredients! They are my go-to appetizer for tailgate parties or football games because how quick they come together and how delicious they are!
Preparing your puff pastry dough
This appetizer is something I thought of one Sunday morning when I needed something QUICK to make for the big game.
Knowing I ALWAYS have frozen puff pastry in my freezer, I knew I wanted to put it to good use.
So I checked my pantry and found a can of Hormel's canned chili staring at me and I immediately had an idea to add some chili to my puff pastry. Top it off with some sour cream and scallions and boom. A delicious finger food that screams cold weather and football season!
How To Cut Your Puff Pastry Appetizer Squares
I absolutely LOVE puff pasty. I just can't help myself. I know it is not the healthiest thing but it makes almost anything you top it with that much more amazing! Plus, it creates tasty appetizers with minimal effort!
For your puff pastry squares, you can cut your puff pastry any way you wish. Try cutting circles, squares, rectangles, or even into a football helmet..if you are artistic! Have fun with it!
Puff Pastry Tip* Defrost frozen puff pastry dough in the fridge as opposed to leaving it out at room temperature to prevent a gummy texture.
I know, I know...
Chili is meant to be simmered for HOURS and hours and is always better the longer you cook it!
BUT my goal here on the blog, is to bring you appetizer ideas that are quick and easy so this is the next best bet!
Hormel's canned chili is pretty tasty considering. They even have chili with AND without beans! So use whichever you like!
I added some red wine vinegar to my chili to both thin it out and add some acidity. You can always add other spices if you like like chili powder or cayenne pepper.
If you're looking for football food ideas, check out these 51 Unique Game Day Finger Foods you NEED To Serve!
Assembling Your Chili Squares
Once you have your puff pastry cut, mix up your chili filling in a bowl and add a spoonful to the center of each square/rectangle.
You will bake them like this until the dough turns a golden brown, then add cheese on top until it melts.
How to make this AHEAD of time:
The BEST way to make these bites ahead of time is to cut and assemble them before guests arrive. Cover with some plastic wrap and leave in the fridge when ready to bake.
Then remove plastic wrap and throw them in the oven when you're ready!
These are best served WARM!
You can serve with a dollop of sour cream on top OR serve with some sour cream on the side for dipping.
Oh and don't leave out the scallions! It adds some freshness to the dish AND some color, BOTH of which are needed for the best results!
Here are some other delicious game day appetizers you may like:
Hormel Chili Puff Pastry Appetizer Squares
- 1 Package Frozen Puff Pastry Dough ((2 Sheets))
- 1 Can Hormel Chili ((with or without beans))
- 2 Tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Scallions
- ½ Cup Shredded Cheese ((Jack, Mozzarella & Cheddar bag mix))
To Top It Off
- ½ Cup Sour Cream ((Optional))
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and take out your puff pastry dough.
- Mix chili, vinegar, and scallions together in bowl and set aside. (Reserve 1-2 tbsp of scallions to garnish.)
- Prepare your puff pastry dough by opening puff pastry sheets and cutting each sheet into 12 equal squares. (Tip* Working with cold dough is easier than room temperature!)
- Place a tbsp of chili mixture onto the center of each square. Refreeze any extra dough for another time. You should get at least 18 bites (1 ½ sheets.)
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until pastry dough is golden brown.
- You can choose to add the cheese and stick it back in the oven to melt the cheese OR you can just add the cheese and serve right away!
- Then add a dollop of sour cream to each followed by chopped scallions for a better presentation!