These Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Rounds are absolutely delicious and perfect for fall! They have become my new make ahead appetizer come game day. Shredded chicken, brown sugar and buffalo sauce neatly piled onto a bite sized, roasted sweet potato round! Easy, quick and filling!
Looking for a deliciously easy MAKE-AHEAD appetizer for this weekend's football game or this year's Thanksgiving Day feast? This is it!!!
Let's talk about these Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Rounds...
They are SO delicious.
Not just because it has buffalo sauce, although that's a reason in itself to make these...but because of all the add-ins I threw into the buffalo sauce.
Brown sugar...hot sauce...cinnamon? Yes, yes and YES!
All the flavors that scream GAME DAY and FALL together in sweet sweet harmony. (Pun intended)
Here are some other delicious potato appetizers you might love!
How To Roast Your Sweet Potato Rounds
Don't you just LOVE sweet potatoes?
My mom never used to make sweet potatoes growing up. It was always roasted white potatoes or mashed potatoes. Never sweet.
I am so glad they have become more popular as time has gone by because they pair so well with many other foods. PLUS they bake up super fast!
I have been on a brown sugar buffalo kick lately. I got the 'brown sugar buffalo' idea from a pizza my husband and I ordered last year.
It was a brown sugar buffalo pizza. It. Was. Amazing. Plus the fact that it was wood fired, took it over the top. I can't say enough yummy things about the combination of brown sugar and buffalo sauce.
It is all kinds of wrong but so, so right.
If you like the way this recipe sounds, you should try my other brown sugar buffalo appetizers:
Buffalo Chicken Brown Sugar Bites
This brown sugar buffalo sauce has just the right amount of 'kick'. The sweetness from the brown sugar balances out the heat so it's tolerable. I know I know. You're probably thinking,, buffalo sauce isn't even that hot! Well I am a wimp when it comes to heat.
I am trying to "train" my taste buds to tolerate heat a little more. I WANT to love super spicy foods but it's taking me a while to get there.
Sweet potatoes can be tricky for a few reasons...
- They are ridiculously difficult to slice RAW! I don't know what it is about them, but compared to white potatoes, it is like trying to slice concrete. Make sure to use a very, sharp knife!
- They burn easily! The sugar inside tends to burn quickly in the oven so you need to keep an eye out when roasting them!
- They come in all kinds of shapes. Grab ones that are as uniform as possible. Not too fat but not too skinny. Think, consistent "bite sized rounds".
An Easy Make-Ahead Appetizer
These are easy to make ahead of time so you wont need to be stuck in the kitchen while all the action is happening in the other room.
What you'll need to do is just roast your potatoes in the oven and set them aside. Next, mix up your shredded chicken buffalo topping topping and store it in the fridge.
You can keep these items separately in the fridge and then assemble your rounds last minute reheating them in the oven.
You can assemble everything at once and then reheat the assembled sweet potato rounds in the oven at a low temperature until your ready to serve them.
You would just need to save the sour cream for when they come out, of course.
My favorite thing about these Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Rounds is that they don't NEED to be hot to taste good! When I host guests, I hate having to worry about keeping the food warm. Reheating food over and over becomes so exhausting! Plus it dries out the food!
These sweet potato rounds will not dry out if you DO reheat. Either way, they will still taste delicious at room temperature!
They even reheat in the microwave very well! Bonus!
Enjoy and share what you think below!
Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Rounds
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes ((sliced into ½" thick rounds))
- 2 Tsp. Flour
- 6 Tbsp. Butter ((unsalted))
- ½ Cup Buffalo Sauce
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 ½ Cup Shredded Chicken
- 1 Cup Sour Cream ((For topping))
- 2 Stalks Minced Celery ((For topping))
- Preheat over to 425 degrees F. Coat your sweet potato rounds in olive oil and then sprinkle tops with some salt and pepper. (Just eyeball this.) Bake for 15 minutes or until bottom has turned golden brown. Check them every so often so they do not burn!
- In the meantime, add your butter and flour to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk it together. When it gets nice a bubbly brown, add your buffalo sauce, brown sugar, milk and salt. Whisk until it just begins to thicken then take off the heat. This should only take a few minutes.
- Add your shredded chicken to the sauce.
- Top each round with a nice serving of the buffalo chicken mixture. Add a touch of sour cream and celery to finish these off!