These Mini Chicken Pot Pies With Pie Crust are cute, individual-sized versions of the classic American dinner we've all come to love. All you need is a mini muffin tin and some shredded chicken and you will have a delicious appetizer that people will go crazy over!
They would pair incredibly well with my crispy potato wedges!
These mini chicken pot pies are the cutest little appetizers on my blog. I made them with store-bought pie crust which saved lots of time!
Rather than using a can of cream of chicken soup like most recipes, I chose to make my own creamy filling from scratch. The filling does not take long to make and makes a world of difference when it comes to taste.
I like to bake these in advance then warm them up in the oven as guests arrive like I do with my Creamed Corn Biscuit Cups.
Check out my other make ahead appetizers!
How To Make The Filling
The filling is homemade which is how I prefer it. I have never been a huge fan of those cream of mushroom or chicken soups. They definitely make things easier and quicker but are lacking in the flavor department.
Making the chicken pot pie filling from scratch is simple. Just make sure you have all of your ingredients prepped to speed up the process.
- Pie crust- You can use Pillsbury's pre-packaged pie crust to save time or make your own homemade pie crust.
- Shredded chicken- You have two options here. Purchase a rotisserie chicken and shred or dice it up. Or, boil some chicken legs, breads or thighs and wait for the chicken to cook through before dicing or shredding. I prefer bone-in thighs because the meat is more moist and flavorful.
- Veggies- I don't have a preference here. Frozen veggies are just as delicious as fresh but when it comes to time, using a frozen bag of assorted veggies makes this recipe SUPER fast! Look for an assortment of corn, peas and carrots which are the go-to veggies in most chicken pot pies. Or you can use a frozen bag of succotash.
- Potatoes: I like to use buttery potatoes like Yukon golds. Make sure to dice them up really small so they cook quickly and fit into your muffin cups.
When making your mini chicken pot pies, there are a few things that will help to the recipe turn out perfect.
- Use round cookie cutters: These help to cut your pie crust into perfect circles. This will make everything quick and neat. I used two different sized cutters. One for the cup or pie shell, and the other smaller cutter for the top crust.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop: This will help to portion out and fill your cups neatly and quickly.
- Use a mini muffin tin: A mini muffin tin will keep these mini pies bite-sized and individually portioned. Using larger muffin or cupcake tins, will yield larger pies which are better served as a side dish.
- Sealing your pies: While I do suggest topping your mini pies to keep them from drying out, don't worry about sealing them like a regular-sized chicken pot pie. To make things easy, I cut out a round of pie crust and simply topped each pie without any fuss.
- Use an egg wash: Brushing the top of each mini pie with an egg wash will ensure your pies turn out beautifully golden brown and shiny.
The Pie Crust
To save time, I used store-bought pie crust although I have used a homemade pie crust before. I prefer homemade to store-bought but sometimes I opt for the more convenient route. Making your own crust is actually very simple to do. All you need is a food processor, some cold butter, flour and water. It can be ready in less than 5 minutes and results in a flakier more tasty crust every time.
Using the store-bought crust allows you to simply unroll and cut. It is more expensive but very more convenient so the choice is up to you on this one!
If you want to use another type of dough, you can use puff pastry dough, biscuit dough or crescent roll dough. All would be delicious!
Yes! These reheat very well. Bake them as the recipe says but 5 minutes shorter. Then pop them back in the muffin tins to finish baking. Check out my other make ahead appetizers!
Yes but the yield and bake time will change.
Yes. Make sure to seal them well to prevent them from freezer burn.
Other mini appetizers:
Sausage Stuffed Mini Peppers (w/ Cream Cheese)
Mini Caesar Salad Parmesan Cheese Cups
Mini Fish Tacos With Chipotle Cream
Mini Chicken Pot Pies With Pie Crust
- Mini Muffin Tin
- 2 9" pie crusts
- 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon milk (Egg wash*)
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- ½ cup shredded chicken
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup potatoes, diced small
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup cream
- ¾ cup mixed veggies ((corn, peas, carrots))
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Add ¼ cup minced onion and 3 tablespoons butter into a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Let it simmer (not brown) for 2-3 minutes until the onions become translucent. Add minced garlic clove and simmer 1 more minute.
- Add in ½ cup of diced potatoes and ½ cup of the chicken stock and cover the pan with a lid. Keep over medium heat.
- After about 5-8 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender, remove lid and add in 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix.
- Add in ¾ cup of your cream and the rest of your chicken stock (¼ cup) and bring to a simmer. The mixture should thicken up after a few minutes. If not, simmer longer.
- Turn off heat and mix in ¾ cup of mixed veggies, ½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon thyme, ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Make sure to taste it an add more salt if needed.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray your muffin tins and unroll your pie crust. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds that are 3¼"-3½" inches across and 12 rounds that are 1¾"-2" across. (These are for the top.)
- Press each larger pie crust round into each muffin cup. It's okay if the dough overlaps. Crimp or press it together so it fits.
- Take a mini ice cream scoop and scoop 1-2 scoops of filling into each cup. Fill them up as much as possible!
- Top each mini pie with one smaller round of pie crust. (You do not need to pinch the "lids" shut if you don't want to.) Add 3 scores tp the tops of each with a knife (optional) and brush with egg wash*.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Serve warm.