If you love jalapeño poppers, you will go crazy over these Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups! They are easier to fill and give this popular appetizer a crunchier bite that is a MUST!
These bite-sized treats are the perfect addition to any party or gathering. Crispy wonton shells filled with a savory creamy, cheesy jalapeno popper mixture and topped with extra cheese and bacon make for the ultimate salty snack.
If you love cheesy, crunchy bites of heaven, these jalapeno poppers will be your #1 appetizer at your Super Bowl party! I love anything bite-sized because you can snack on them all day and not worry about getting too full to early.
Extra wontons should definitely be put towards making these Mini Philly Cheesesteak Wonton Cups. They're so yummy!
Watch How I Make These Poppers!
Why I love Jalapeno Popper Wontons
✅Easy to make with simple ingredients.
✅Can be served as a side dish or appetizer.
✅Quick and easy to make.
✅Can be prepared ahead of time.
✅An inexpensive way to feed a crowd.
✅A great option for those who love spicy food!
- Wonton Wrappers- Look for the ones that are pre-cut into squares! Nasoya brand is the one I usually grab.
- Jalapenos- I think one is the perfect heat but I am a wimp when it comes to spicy or heat! So use what you like.
- Cream cheese- This will provide the creamy texture jalapeno poppers are notorious for.
- 🥓Bacon- Fry up your own bacon for the best flavor. The bacon grease will make these poppers 100x better!!
- 🧀Cheese- Go for a melty cheese like cheddar or Monterey jack. I opt for a yellow cheese for a pop of color.
- 🥛Milk- The milk is necessary to thin out the consistency a bit. You can use water or cream if you wish.
- Scallions- Also known as green onions, they add a nice bite that brings all the flavors together! You can use chives if you want instead.🥓🥓
Where To Find Wonton Wrappers
You can find wonton wraps, cut into squares, sold in most produce sections.
Check by the refrigerated tofu/vegan section. They are such a great product that is super easy to use and happen to be vegan too. I like the Nayosa brand.
Tips for Perfecting the Recipe
- Make your own bacon bits. Don't purchase the store-bought kind! It's just not the same.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of jalapenos and spices to your liking.
- For a crisper wonton shell, bake for a few extra minutes until golden brown. Or you can brush/spray the wonton wrappers with butter or oil before baking.
- For a creamier mixture, add an extra tablespoon or two of milk.
- You can swap the bacon for sausage if you wish.
- Add mozzarella cheese instead or additionally.
- Use a soft tortilla, cut them into mini circles and press them into a muffin tin if you do not have wonton wrappers.
- Use chilies to kick up the heat.
What To Serve With Your Cups
Serve your popper cups with avocado, guacamole, salsa, ranch dressing or whatever else you like to dip into!
If you love stuffed mini peppers, my Sausage Stuffed Mini Bells would be a great addition to your Super Bowl appetizer table.
Extra Wonton Wrappers?
Jalapeno Popper Wontons are a yummy way to add a little spice to this year's big game. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have these tasty treats ready in no time and ready for game day!
They're sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike.
If you try these, please tag me on social with a photo or comment below! I'd love to hear how they turned out!
May a recommend a batch of my homemade margaritas?
Your wontons might have been placed too close to the top of your oven. This will burn the edges quicker. Turn down the temperature or try baking on the bottom rack.
Yes! However the shape may differ. Egg roll wraps are often large squares so you will need to cut or shape them before baking.
Jalapeño Popper Wonton Cups
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled + (1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat) (*about ¼ cup)
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅔ cup cheese shredded (*monterey jack or cheddar)
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together reserved bacon fat, cream cheese, shredded cheese, jalapenos, garlic powder, onion powder, scallions, milk and bacon bits . Set aside or chill until ready to use.**Reserve some cheese, bacon bits and scallions for topping at the end!!
- Remove wonton wrappers from package and place inside mini muffin tin.
- Use a shot glass, or your fingers, to push the wonton into the muffin tin. Make sure the wonton center is open and not folded over.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes on middle to bottom rack or lightly browned.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop or two spoons and distribute the popper filling evenly amongst the 12 baked wonton cups.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for another 7-8 minutes or until the center is warm and the cheese is melted.
- Remove and garnish with more scallions and bacon bits.
- Serve jalapeno poppers with a side of ranch dressing, salsa or avocados.
- Top with chopped cilantro if you wish.
- You can use any cheese mixture.