These mini canapés are one of my favorite fancy finger foods to serve at at classy party! They are great any time of year too! I love to prepare these canapes an hour in advance and let them sit out as guests arrive. The sweet and savory flavors are always a hit with guests!
Ingredients For Canapes
- Mini Toasts or Crostini: These can be store-bought or made at home using a little olive oil and your oven!
- Onions: I caramelized the onions in this canape recipe to bring a delicious sweetness.
- Ricotta Cheese + Brie + Goat Cheese: The combination of cheeses is SO deliciously creamy and tangy.
- Honey: Honey adds sweetness that pairs well with the figs and cheeses.
- Figs: Figs are a beautiful addition that brings brightness to these canapes.
How To Make Canapes
- Mix together the cheeses and place in a piping bag.
- Squeeze out onto mini crostini.
- Top with caramelized onions and a sliced fig!
Here are some tips for serving canapes:
- Choose the right size: Canapes should be bite-sized, easy to eat in one or two bites. They should be small enough to be picked up with one hand.
- Use attractive and functional serving platters: I love flat white serving platter the best!
- Consider color and presentation: Choose canapes that are visually appealing and match the color scheme of your event. Adding things like fresh herbs or edible flowers will make them pop!
- Serve at the right temperature: Some canapes are best served chilled, while others are best served at room temperature. I love this recipe because it can be served without worrying about reheating.
- Be mindful of dietary restrictions: Consider guests with dietary restrictions when choosing your canapes. Make guests these days cannot eat anything they want. So consider having a variety of canapes from vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan to dairy-free.
"What is the best kind of bread to serve canapés on?"
I suggest any bread that is DENSE and not too wide in diameter. You don't want your bread to have holes in it or whatever is on top will seep through and cause a mess. You also want bread that is bite sized. Here is a recipe for canape bread that is ideal in texture and size.
"How do I make canapés in advance?"
This can be tricky but caterers do it ALL the time. Most canapés need to be assembled LAST MINUTE so you do not lose the texture and more importantly, so your bread does not get soggy!
To do this, prep everything the day before. Slice all your garnishes and whip up the toppings and store them in labeled containers so you know what goes with what. Then the day of the party, you can assemble everything quickly and efficiently.
Because canapés are smaller in size, you will need to keep the serving container in mind. You also don't want your canapés to slip around since they are often delicate.
If you are serving canapés that need to be kept warm, read my tips for how to keep food warm for a party.
"How long will canapes stay fresh for?"
Since canapés are placed on bread or crackers, they will eventually absorb the moisture causing them to become soggy after a few hours.
Caterers will use tricks like spreading butter or mayo onto crackers to prevent them from becoming soggy.
Other Finger Foods You Will Love
Mini Canapé Toasts For Parties
- 24 Mini Toasts ((Store-bought))
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion
- ½ Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 3 oz. Brie + Goat Cheese (*See Note)
- 2 Tsp. Honey
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 6 Ripe Figs for garnish (*Optional)
- The longest task in this recipe is caramelizing your onions. It is a simple thing to do but requires patience. I promise, it's totally worth your time.Cut your onion into thin strips like in the photo. In a pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, simmer on LOW for 30-45 minutes. It is important not to BURN your onions. (*My burner range is from 1-10, I put mine on 2!) You should see little bubbles simmering. If not, it is too low.
- While your onions are caramelizing, add your cheeses, honey and salt to a bowl. When your onions are ready, add them in and mix all together.
- Top each mini toast with the mixture and top with a slice of fig! (*See note) Drizzle with more honey if you desire!