This pub-style Beer Cheddar Cheese Dip is the perfect spread to serve with pretzels! The main ingredients in this appetizer are cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese and BEER! Best of all, it takes just 5 MINUTES to whip up, making it an ideal Super Bowl snack!
You don't have to love beer to like this dip. But if you DO like beer, it's quickly going to become a favorite cold party dip like my Easy Cold Spinach Dip or ths whipped eggplant dip.
I love how I can make it a day or two in advance and keep it in the fridge. Then, on football Sunday, you can pass this cheesy pretzel dip around to score some easy points with friends and family. 🙂
This Cheesy Beer Dip Is...
- Ready in just 5 minutes!
- Best served cold.
- Thick and creamy.
- Best served with a cold beer!
- Flavored with garlic, Worcestershire and Dijon...all which go very well with pretzels.
- Can be made with non-alcoholic beers or any non-fruity beer you have on hand.
- Best served with hard pretzels as opposed to soft pretzels because of how thick it is.
😋 My Layered Taco Dip and my Cold Spinach Dip are both popular party dips people go crazy over!
- Cheddar cheese- This cheese is my go-to cheese because I always have some in the fridge. Choose the best cheddar you can find since that is the main ingredient in this cheesy pretzel dip.
- Beer- Experiment with different flavors or leave it out if you want to serve a non-alcoholic version. Check out which beers I recommend below.
- Cream Cheese- This is necessary to create the thick, creamy consistency. I do not recommended substituting it.
- Dijon- Mustard and pretzels go together like peanut butter and jelly. It is a must. *TIP: Add spicy mustard if you like a little kick.
- Worcestershire Sauce- This adds an umami flavor that goes incredible well with creamy dips like this one.
- Garlic Powder- I like to use granulated garlic in this recipe but minced garlic (1 small clove) would go well too.
- Scallions- This cheese spread needs some freshness and green onions, or scallions, are the perfect addition. Don't leave these out!
📃 NOTE: You can print exact quantities with detailed instructions below!
If you love beer inspired appetizers, try my Beer Battered Onion Rings!
Other Add-In Ideas...
- Different cheeses would work well but I believe a nice sharp cheddar goes very well with beer.
- Add jalapeno peppers for a nice kick.
- Bacon bits would be delicious.
- Swap out the green onions for scallions!
Make sure to check out all of my cold appetizers on my blog!
The BEST Beer To Use
ANY beer would work in this pretzel dip. If you like to drink it, you will like it in this dip. Just keep in mind the flavors your going for.
- *German-style Beers- This is my go-to kind if I have it and goes very well with cheese.
- *Lager Beers- Bud Light, Coors, Miller, etc.
- Stout/Malty Beers- Stay away from the chocolatey ones.
- Pale-ales- Stay away from the super fruity, floral kind.
- IPA's- Stay away from the citrusy, fruity kind.
- OR NON-ALCOHOLIC! Here's a list of booze-free beers!
You want to stay away from fruity, citrusy or floral tasting beers since the flavors are not what we're going for here.
Serve Your Dip With...
- Soft Pretzels
- Tortilla Chips
- Celery sticks
- Chunks of cut bread
- Mini crostinis
- Sesame breadsticks
- Green apple slices (apples go well w/ cheese)
If you're planning your next tailgate get-together, try these cute football shaped pizzas made from crescent dough! Kids will love helping to make them!
Yes. Doing so will allow the flavors to meld better!
I don't recommend freezing cream cheese based dips since they can turn out watery.
Yes! You dip will just be less chunky.
Many beer cheese dips are made with ranch seasoning, but I don't think it need it. If you do want to add it, omit the garlic powder below.
Other party dips you might like:
Hot Crab & Artichoke Dip with Cream Cheese
Thick Greek Yogurt Tzatziki Dip
COLD Spinach Dip With Cream Cheese
An Deliciously Fancy Liver Pâté
Love Make Ahead Appetizers?
I have an Ebook I created with my top make ahead appetizers you'll LOVE! Get it here!
📲 Say hi on social!! 👋 Follow me on facebook, instagram, pinterest, youtube or tiktok for more recipes and entertaining tips!
Beer Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Dip (Cold Spread)
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ⅓ cup light beer
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard ((or ½ teaspoon dry mustard))
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder ((or 1 small clove fresh garlic))
- 2-3 green onions (scallions), chopped
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until fully incorporated.
- Garnish with more scallions and serve cold with pretzels, bread or veggies for dipping!
- Any non-fruity beer would work well. Lighter beers will give a lighter taste.
- You can add ingredients to a food processor if you wish for a smoother consistency.
- Use spicy mustard if you want to add a kick.
- Add more beer if you want your spread to be more "dippable".
- Substitute any hard cheese you have on hand for the cheddar.
- I find that freshly grated cheese (as opposed to the pre-shredded kind) is the best way to go giving the most flavor!
Did this for a party and it www the biggest hit! We used an ipa beer
Oh that sounds perfect! So glad it was a hit!!
A few family members were tailgating before a concert and i brought this dip as my contribution. I love trying new recipes. It was a hit. I didn't use a blender but just mixed everything after softening the cream cheese. i will give the blender a try next time to see if it fluffs it up a bit. I do believe refrigerating it over night does help. will definitely be making this again. lori
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review Lori! I am so glad you and everyone else liked it! 🙂
Is there a good substitute for the beer if you need it to be nonalcoholic?
They do sell non-alcoholic beer! But other than that, there is no other substitute sorry!
Hi! How to store this and for how long will it last? I made it and it's so good!!!
Hi! It will last 3-4 days in the fridge covered in a container or with plastic wrap. Thanks for your review! 🙂
I made this for myself and only myself. I’m in love!!! Love your recipes! I didn’t have jalapeños on hand, but next time I do, I’ll make this again! I bet that’s a great addition
Hi Sarah! Thanks so much for your kind review! I love that you were able to enjoy it all yourself! 🙂 So glad you enjoyed the dip! 🙂