Brandy butter is a classic British Christmas condiment made of brandy, butter, and powdered sugar. It's perfect for slathering on Christmas pudding, mince pies, or pancakes or any dessert! This easy recipe takes just minutes to make and can be served either warm or cold.
If you want to get into the Christmas spirit and start planning all of your goodies, you may also want to check out this yummy Vanilla Pudding Puppy Chow recipe or these insanely good Peppermint Candy Cane Shots!
What is brandy butter made from?
Brandy butter is made using butter, powdered sugar and brandy! It's a very simple recipe that adds a TON of flavor to desserts and baked goods especially used around Christmas time.
Is there alcohol in brandy butter?
Yes there is a little bit of brandy in brandy butter. The alcohol percentage in brandy can range from 35-60%.
🛒 Ingredient Tips
- Brandy: I highly suggest using a top-quality Brandy like Hennessy or cognac.
- Powdered sugar: You can use regular powdered sugar or a low-carb version like Swerve. Granulated sugar is NOT recommended since it is coarse and will lead to a grainey butter.
- Butter: Butter is the STAR ingredient so using the best butter you an find is key to the best brandy butter. A high-quality butter I love is Kerrygold Irish Butter.
👉How to Make Brandy Butter
- Cream together your butter and confectioners sugar in a large bowl slowly at first so the sugar does not make a mess.
- Gradually increase the speed and the sugar incorporates.
- Pour in a bit of the brandy at a time while stirring until the desired taste is reached. to taste and stir well.
- Scoop the butter into a serving dish and cover. You can serve it immediately or store it in the fridge for up to 8 weeks.
📃 NOTE: You can print the FULL recipe with all ingredients & detailed instructions below!
Do Not Add Too Much Brandy!
Adding too much brandy will cause your butter to curdle which would not look very appetizing. The butter should taste more like butter than straight brandy.
📝Substitutions and Variations
Brown sugar - if you do not have any powdered sugar on hand, you can pulse some granulated sugar in a food processor to make your own.
Butter - you can use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe. If using unsalted, consider adding a touch of salt to balance the flavors.
Whiskey - whiskey, bourbon or cognac are other boozy alternatives. Here are some other brandy alternatives you may like.
Brown sugar - try sprinkling a bit of brown sugar on top of the butter for extra sweetness.
Orange Zest - This adds a delicious bright flavor and citrus note to desserts.
- Your butter mixture could curdle if you add too much brandy. If this happens, simply keep adding powdered sugar until the mixture comes together again.
- This recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Just be sure to let it come to room temperature before serving.
- Add in a brand you would drink or play with different flavors.
How To Uncurdle Brandy Butter
🎄Looking for some other classic Christmas recipes to try? Try this Crock Pot Christmas Crack Candy!
What To Serve Brandy Butter With?
Brandy butter is traditionally served on top of Christmas pudding, but it can also be enjoyed on mince pies, cakes, in cookies, spread onto panettone, on cinnamon rolls or with other traditional Christmas desserts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Brandy butter (often called hard sauce) is sweet and rich with a strong brandy flavor. It's tastes similar to an American buttercream frosting but not as sweet...and spiked of course!
Yes, a flavor extract can be used in its place however it won't taste as natural. You can also use vanilla paste or extract instead of alcohol if you want. Avoid using flavor essences because they don't produce a good flavor. Add half a teaspoon of flavor extract at a time until you achieve the flavor you like.
How To Store Your Butter
Brandy butter will last up to two weeks in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer sealed well. If freezing, I suggest slicing into tablespoon pads and freeze separately so you can use as you wish without thawing the entire thing.
What To Make With Brandy Butter:
EASY Brandy Butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces )
- ½ cup powdered sugar (4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Add butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and using a whisk attachment, whip the butter on high until light and fluffy. This should take a few minutes.
- Slowly add in the brandy until fully incorporated.
- Transfer to a small bowl or clear jar and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.