This homemade bruschetta caprese (with mozzarella) is a unique twist on the classic Italian appetizer! With sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella that is baked until melted, it is like a caprese salad taken to the next level.
Ahh bruschetta! Cue the Italian music!
Who doesn't love a good bruschetta recipe?
Doesn't it just make you want to grab a glass of wine and throw on some Sinatra? (or whatever music gets you going)
I LOVE it and frankly...I don't make it enough. It is such an EASY party appetizer that everyone devours so after this recipe, I am definitely adding it back into my "repertoire" of appetizers.
Especially because THIS recipe is made with mozzarella cheese! I love sticking to tradition but when it comes to food, I feel like there is always more to offer.
So I added in a few other 'non-traditional' ingredients like chunks of creamy mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes! Think of it like a kicked up caprese salad, ON BREAD!
What's The Difference Between Bruschetta and Crostini?
When I think of bruschetta, I immediately think of tomatoes! But little did I know, that is just a TYPE of bruschetta.
Bruschetta (often incorrectly pronounced 'brushetta') is made from slicing a larger more 'rustic' loaf. Crostini, on the other hand, is made from slicing a smaller baguette like I did for my goat cheese fig crostini.
So larger sliced bread (with some yummy toppings) is called bruschetta.
Read more about the difference between crostini and bruschetta.
Other yummy bruschetta toppings:
- other fresh herbs
- vinegar (red wine or balamic)
- Parmesan cheese
- red onions
- feta cheese
Check out some more of the best bruschetta ideas for your next party!
What is the best BREAD to use?
The toughest part is finding the bread.
The bread is EVERYTHING.
Do NOT go with just 'any' bread. This appetizer is all about the bread. I mean, the name MEANS toasted bread! So search for the best Italian baguette you can get your hands on! FRESH is best!
How This Bruschetta Recipe is Unique
Bruschetta does not need to be complicated but doing a few things can take it to the next level.
The first thing that many people don't do is rubbing your toast with fresh garlic! This does wonders! A little rub goes a long way!
Next, I added fresh mozzarella cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. This is why I called this bruschetta, 'caprese'. The mozzarella adds a creaminess to each bite. I chose to use sun dried tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes for TWO reasons:
- They pack more flavor.
- They keep in the pantry for months!
This recipe will have you looking at bruschetta a little differently from now on.
Here are some other easy appetizers ready in less than 20 minutes!
Feta Stuffed Greek Roasted Baby Peppers
Mini Kale Stuffed Vegetarian Mushrooms
Easy Bruschetta Caprese (with mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes)
- 1 Fresh Italian Baguette
- 12 Whole Sun Dried Tomatoes (jarred)
- ½ Cup Freshly Chopped Basil
- 1 tsp. Freshly Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt ((to taste))
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper ((to taste))
- Balsalmic Glaze ((for drizzling))
- Slice your baguette into ½" slices. (This recipe yields about 12 slices.) Using a brush, brush both sides of your bread with olive oil and then season each slice lightly with salt. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes flipping bread halfway through.
- While in the oven, chop your sun dried tomatoes finely and dice your mozzarella into small cubes. Add to small bowl.
- Chop your basil into a chiffonade (small ribbons) and mince your garlic. Add to bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Remove bread from oven and add 1-2 tablespoon of tomato basil topping to each slice. Place back in the oven and BROIL until the mozzarella JUST begins to melt. This should only take a few minutes so keep a close eye!
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over each slice and serve warm.
This Caprese Bruschetta is the appetizer of my dreams. Flavorful tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella with a balsamic reduction drizzle.
Bruschetta is my favorite! These appetizers look so easy and yummy! I’ve never tried using sun dried before but it’s a wonderful idea and I’m sure it adds amazing flavor. Thanks for sharing!
Bite Sized Kitchen
Thanks Chelsey! Bruschetta is my fav too!!
Jas @ All that's Jas
We love bruschetta as an easy snack or a light supper. I always have mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes in my fridge and will be making this delicious caprese bruschetta soon! Thanks for sharing!
Bite Sized Kitchen
Me too! Thanks Jas!
Yummay in my tummay! I love Bruschetta!! Fresh mozzarella and basil - usually I use fresh tomatoes but can't wait to try out this recipe using sun dried!