These Mini Baked Potatoes Appetizer are such a fun and easy appetizer to serve to kids or adults! Roasted in the oven and topped with a cheesy sour cream n' chive filling!
These mini (aka baby) potatoes is a delicious and easy appetizer everyone will love popping! I mean, who doesn't love a good baked potato loaded with sour cream and cheese!? They are the perfect bite-sized treat to serve before dinner or during cocktail hour. If you are looking for more potato appetizers, check out these Potato Appetizers that are perfect for any party.
Roasting these babies in the oven are easy and quick! With that said, I have some tips I recommend you follow for the best results:
- Prick each potato with a fork to allow quicker, more even cooking.
- Season generously with salt. (potatoes NEED salt!)
- If you can, choose baby potatoes that are all uniform in size! This way they will all bake evenly.
- Shake the pan every so often to move the potatoes around. This will allow them to brown as evenly as possible!
"New potatoes" vs. "baby potatoes"
Yes! They both are delicate and slightly sweet so they do not need to be peeled and are perfect for this recipe.
Some potato recipes require other types of potatoes for the best results so going with the right potato can make a world of difference!
Here is a great example:
When making my Baked Potato Wedges, I ONLY use yellow potatoes! Russet potatoes would not give the same result.
IF you're wondering which potatoes are best for which recipes, here is a great guide on the different types of potatoes!
If your hosting guests and you want to serve these roasted 'whole' baby potatoes to a crowd, I suggest baking your baby potatoes ahead of time (maybe a few hours ahead). Then you can pop them in the oven at 350º F for 5 minutes or so to warm up as guests arrive. I have done this with or without the sour cream filling and it turns out great either way.
Here are some other quick appetizers you may like!
Mini Baked Potatoes (Appetizer)
- 1.5 lbs Mini Potatoes (Purple, White, Red)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ tablespoon Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Freshly Grated, Cheddar Cheese
- 2 teaspoon Freshly Chopped Chives
- Place mini potatoes on a sheet pan and prick each with a fork. Then add olive oil, salt, pepper and onion powder. Toss to coat. Spread potatoes out so they are not touching and bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender. (Give the pan a shake halfway to allow the potatoes to roll over.)
- When slightly cooled, slice each potato down the middle about halfway through (not fully) and using your fingers, squeeze each potato inward. This will allow the inside of the potato to open up more and pop out a bit.
- Add sour cream and shredded cheese to a plastic baggie and snip off a corner allowing you a big enough hole to squeeze out the filling into each potato, but not TOO big.
- Add as much as you please. Then top with chives (or chopped red peppers for color!) Serve warm!