These Cheesy Garlic Italian "Dunkers" use Pillsbury's canned pizza dough so they are super easy to make! Serve with a side of your favorite marinara sauce for dipping and you've got an appetizer, snack or even lunch!
This is a nostalgic recipe for me.
It takes me back to my elementary school days where the cafeteria served 'Italian dunkers'.
They actually STILL serve them in schools today! Domino's has a similar item on their menu too that people go crazy for!
Both are always super cheesy and served with a tasty marinara sauce for dipping. I will say, when your 13 and starving, anything tastes delicious.
How To Make Garlic Dunkers With Cheese
These dunkers are easy to make because I did not make my own dough.
It's MUCH faster and more convenient especially if you have kids who are hungry or last minute company!
Storebought Pizza Dough
I used Pillsbury's canned pizza dough for this recipe but if you'd like to purchase other dough you can! Or make your own pizza dough!
I used store-bought dough for my popular stromboli recipe!
The Pillsbury canned dough is the perfect amount of dough and comes in both classic crust and thin crust!
Plus, I can freeze the dough until I am ready to use it. Just make sure you let it defrost in the fridge overnight!
Step 1: Open your can of pizza dough OR roll out your homemade pizza dough until you have a rectangle that is about 12" x 15".
Step 2: Brush your pizza dough with garlic butter seasoning mix. This is where you can get crazy and add any other seasonings or spices you love!
Step 3: Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
Step 4: Add your cheeses all the way to the edges and bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
Step 5: Allow to slightly cool before cutting. Serve with marinara sauce on the side.
How To Add More Flavor To Your Dunkers
Pizza dough is so versatile and goes well with many flavors. Here are some suggestions:
- add red pepper flakes
- add fresh basil
- add sriracha sauce
- serve with ranch dressing
- add anchovy butter for some umami
- add roasted garlic to your dough
- add a smoky or jalapeno cheese
What Is The Best Cheese To Use?
Any cheese that melts well is best! Some of these cheeses are, Monterey, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Gruyere, Fontina, Provolone, Fontina, Gouda and American.
Choose which cheese you like best! Personally, I love using the bags of mixed shredded cheeses that already have 3 or 4 different cheeses in them to add more flavor.
I also love adding Parmesan cheese to the top of my pizza! It adds a nice sharp bite.
Are You Look For More Cheesy Recipes?
📽 If you love entertaining at home, subscribe to my YouTube channel!!
Cheesy Garlic Italian "Dunkers" (Using Pizza Dough)
- Pizza Cutter
- 1 13.8 oz Can Pillsbury Pizza Crust (Thin or Classic Crust)
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheeses ((I like mozzarella and Monterey jack))
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese
Garlic Butter Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt (if using unsalted butter)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Open pizza dough can and roll out dough onto a baking sheet that is sprinkled with a little cornmeal. (This is optional but will help your dough get nice and crispy!)
- Melt your butter in a small bowl and mix in your seasonings. Using a pastry brush, brush this herb oil all over the pizza dough.
- Bake the dough itself on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes or until dough is lightly browned.
- Take out and sprinkle shredded cheese and parmesan cheese over top of your crust making sure to cover the edges. Pop your dough back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so until cheese is fully melted.
- Allow cheese to set for a few minutes before cutting! Use a pizza cutter and cut into equal slices or "sticks". (I was able to get about 14.)Serve hot with marinara sauce, garlic butter or ranch dressing on the side!