This Cream of Coconut Cocktail is cream of coconut recipe that's fun, tropical, and just FULL of coconut flavor. It's made with spiced rum, lime juice, triple sec, and of course, our star, that cream of coconut. It's a tropical cocktail that's perfect drink to serve at all your summer parties!
If so, then you most definitely need to try this incredible Cream of Coconut Cocktail!
It's rich, sweet, creamy, and just absolutely jam packed with tropical coconut flavor. Best of all, it takes minutes to shake up, and only needs 5 ingredients!
This refreshing drink is perfect to serve at all of your summer parties. From BBQs to birthday bashes, this creamy cocktail is sure to be a hit.
Why You'll Love This Cocktail
- It's full of delicious coconut flavor
- This cocktail is rich, creamy, and super refreshing
- The warm flavor of the rum, contrasts the bright flavor from the coconut and lime juice
- You can make it ahead of time if you're planning on serving this drink at a party
- This cocktail only needs 5 ingredients, that you probably already have if you're an at home "mixologist"
Key Ingredient Tips
*full ingredients list and measurements can be found in the recipe card down below*
- Cream of coconut: *This is different than coconut cream. Cream of coconut is a sweetened, thick, coconut syrup that's commonly used in cocktails.
- Spiced rum: You'll want to spiced rum in this coconut cocktail if possible. Spiced rum typically has warm spices like vanilla, cinnamon, and cardamom added which boosts the flavor of this drink. If you don't have it, whiskey or tequila would also work.
- Fresh lime juice: This drink is MUCH better with fresh lime juice rather than bottled. Fresh lime juice is so much brighter in flavor, while the bottled is more concentrated, but will work in a pinch.
- Coconut milk: Full fat coconut milk is best because it makes the cocktail nice and thick and creamy. You can use canned or refrigerated
- Triple sec: Triple sec is an orange flavored liqueur that pairs so well with the coconut. Cointreau can be used in its place if needed.
- Coconut flakes: You will need sweetened coconut flakes to rim your cocktail glasses with. Not only is this a fun presentation, but it tastes super yummy too!
How To Make A Cream of Coconut Cocktail Recipe
STEP ONE: Place coconut flakes on a plate and rim cocktail glasses with about ¼ teaspoon of the cream of coconut. Dip the glasses in the coconut flakes and set aside.
STEP TWO: Add ice, spiced rum, the remaining cream of coconut, lime juice, coconut milk, and triple sec to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
STEP THREE: Add ice to the cocktail glasses then strain the cocktail into each glass.
STEP FOUR: Garnish with lime slices or wedges and serve immediately.
Can I Turn This Drink Into A Mocktail?
The spiced rum is really what makes this Cream of Coconut Cocktail as delicious as it is so either use a non-alcoholic rum alternative OR swap the rum with a coconut sparkling water!
And if you decide to use a non-alcoholic rum, replace the Triple Sec with freshly squeezed orange juice. The drink will taste different, but will still be yummy!
Aleka's Drink Tips!
- Cream of coconut is different than coconut cream, and they are NOT interchangeable substitutes.
- Use finely shredded coconut to rim, thick coconut shavings won't stick.
- Use fresh lime juice if possible, bottled will work, but the taste of fresh really is the best.
- This creamy coconut cocktail is best served immediately. If you want to make it ahead of time, mix up all the ingredients except the lime juice until you're ready to serve.
- If you want to get fancy, garnish your glasses with a pretty lime slice or wedge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cream of coconut is DIFFERENT than coconut cream. Coconut cream is the thick cream that's found on the top of a can of coconut milk, while cream of coconut is a thick, coconut syrup that's designed to be used in drinks.
They are not substitutes for each other, so make sure you have the right ingredients when you're ready to make your coconut cocktail!
Yes! If you want to make it ahead of time, mix up the cream of coconut, spiced rum, coconut milk, and triple sec. Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days, and when you're ready to serve, just mix in the lime juice and enjoy!
If you don't have rum, other spirits like whiskey or tequila will also work. They don't have the warm flavor that spiced rum has, but it will still be good.
I'd say that this coconut cocktail is fairly strong. The cream of coconut isn't alcoholic, but the rest of the drink is made of rum and triple sec which pack a punch.
More Tropical Cocktails You May Like!
Cream of Coconut Cocktail
- ⅓ Cup Sweetened coconut flake
- 4 Ounces Cream of Coconut (divided)
- 6 Ounces Spiced rum
- 3 Ounces Fresh lime juice
- 3 Ounces Coconut milk
- 2 Ounces Triple sec
- Place the coconut flakes onto a small plate and rim 3 cocktail glasses with ¼ teaspoon of Cream of Coconut. Dip the glasses into the coconut flakes, then set aside.
- To a cocktail shaker, add ice, spiced rum, fresh lime juice, remaining cream of coconut, coconut milk, and triple sec. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Add more ice to each of the prepared cocktail glasses, then strain and divide the drink evenly between each glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and serve immediately
- Cream of coconut is different than coconut cream, and they are NOT interchangeable substitutes
- Use finely shredded coconut to rim, thick coconut shavings won't stick
- Use fresh lime juice if possible, bottled will work, but the taste of fresh really is the best
- This creamy coconut cocktail is best served immediately. If you want to make it ahead of time, mix up all the ingredients except the lime juice until you're ready to serve
- If you want to get fancy, garnish your glasses with a pretty lime slice or wedge