This Patriotic Watermelon Appetizer is the perfect patriotic treat for a 4th of July, Memorial Day or Labor Day dessert! The sweet and salty combination is everything. Plus they're healthy, simple and so delicious! Serve as an appetizer or dessert!
I am not usually keen on "cute" appetizers since most don't taste as good as they look but not with this one.
These watermelon feta stars are topped with blueberries and finished with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
The creamy feta cheese is salty and pairs so well with the sweet watermelon. Just like in my watermelon feta salad recipe!
- Watermelon- Look for the largest watermelon you can find. Seedless is preferred.
- Blueberries- Any kind! The larger, the better.
- Feta Cheese- The best feta cheese comes in a block in brine. It's not as dry as the others.
- Balsamic Vinegar Glaze- This is found in the oil and vinegar section. Look for the glaze whiich is thicker and sweeter than balsamic vinegar itself.
🍉 Cutting Your Watermelon
It's simple to cut your watermelon but there are a few things to keep in mind.
First you need to find yourself a star shaped cookie cutter. I just purchased these stars from Amazon! Cut out different sizes if you prefer!
Then, make sure to cut your watermelon properly. To get the most stars out of the watermelon, find the largest one you can get your hands on.
Then, take a large chef's knife and slice the watermelon into ½"-¾" ROUNDS. Think "WHEELS" of watermelon.
If your watermelon is too thick, you will have a difficult time cutting your stars out. So make sure your slices are NOT thicker than the width of your star cutter.
📃 NOTE: Recipe card with exact quantities and detailed instructions are below! Print it out for later!
Make These In Advance!
These are easy to make ahead of time since they refrigerate well. I suggest cutting your stars in bulk and carefully stacking them on top of one another in a sealed container.
Then, on the day of, lay your stars out and top with feta and balsamic glaze. Finish with your blueberry skewers and voila!
Other summer recipes you will love:
📽 If you love entertaining at home, subscribe tomy YouTube channel!!
Patriotic Watermelon Appetizer
- Mini Skewers
- 1 Large watermelon
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 8 ounces blueberries
- balsamic glaze for drizzling
- Cut the watermelon into ½"-¾" rounds. Think large WHEELS. This will allow you to get the most whole stars out of each slice.
- Make sure your watermelon isn't thicker than your cutter or your stars will be difficult to pull out.
- Lay your watermelon stars on a flat serving platter and sprinkle feta crumbles over top.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over each and add a few skewered blueberries to each star.
- Serve chilled!