This non-alcoholic aperol spritz is a delicious and healthy take on the classic Italian orange drink that is served everywhere in Italy during the summer months!
The use of fresh herbs and combination of juices hits both bitter and sweet notes an aperol spritz is known for! It's a delicious non-alcoholic Italian drink everyone will love sipping this summer!
I remember walking through the streets of Positano Italy on my honeymoon, sipping on limoncello spritzes and most refreshing "orange soda drink".
At the time I had NO idea what a spritz was let alone what Aperol was. I just knew everyone was drinking it and I wanted a taste!
So this Aperol Sprtiz MOCKTAIL was inspired by that. It is made without alcohol and actually is very healthy too!
🛒 Drink Ingredients
I know, I know...it may seem like a TON of ingredients in this mocktail but it's needed to get the sweet and bitter flavors an Aperol spritz is known for.
Did you know that Aperol has an herby flavor to it? This is why the fresh herbs are essential.
- Lemon juice - Freshly squeezed is best.
- Orange juice - No sugar added pulp free is best.
- Grapefruit juice - No sugar added pulp free is best.
- Pomegranate juice - I like POM brand. It's the most natural and least sweet.
- White grape juice - This will keep the color light and flavor on point.
- Apple cider vinegar - This adds an acidic bite and is very good for you. The result will NOT taste "vinegary" at all like in my Apple Cider Spiked Punch.
- Seltzer water - Adds some bubbles to mimic an Aperol spritz.
- Fresh sage & thyme - Adds an herbaceous fresh flavor to mimic Aperol.
📃 NOTE: Recipe card with exact quantities and detailed instructions are below! Print it out for later!
Making Your Spritz Mocktail
Mixing up your virgin Aperol spritz takes 3 steps! Don't forget to muddle because that's where all the delicious cocktail-like flavor comes from!
Step 1: Muddle! 🥄
Add your herbs and lemon to a glass and muddle everything using a muddler. This is an important step in cocktails that allows the flavors of herbs and citrus to really shine.
Step 2: Shake! 🍹
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 10 seconds.
Step 3: Add Bubbles! 💦
Adding a carbonated water like tonic water aka seltzer water OR even club soda will add the refreshing bubbly touch that Aperol spritz' are known for.
Tip! You do not need to use as much ice in your cocktail shaker as you typically would when shaking a strong cocktail.
📃 Substitutions & Variations
You can play around with some other juices if you like! The exact ingredients in Aperol are unknown which is why it's difficult to mimic those flavors however here are some suggestions:
- 💦 Change the carbonation- Instead of using regular tonic water, you can play around with different flavored carbonated waters. They have a TON of options these days.
- 🌿 Use different herbs- Other herbs would be delicious inside your mocktail. Try using fresh basil, rosemary or mint! If you want to really step out of the box, use gentian and cinchona both of which are used to make Aperol!
- 🍊 Juices- other juices that would be great are rhubarb (if you can find a rhubarb juice that would be amazing! If not, consider juicing it yourself), cranberry, or
If you want to offer a similar drink WITH alcohol, that's not your average spritz, try my Gin Aperol Sour Cocktail.
If you are expecting a larger crowd, you can definitely make this in advance.
Then serve the bubble ON THE SIDE or add at the last minute so the carbonation is still strong when guests arrive!
Make A Sweeter Mocktail
- This non-alcoholic Italian drink is healthier not only because it doesn't contain alcohol but it also doesn't contain loads of sugar either! If you would like your mocktail SWEETER, add some simple syrup, honey or agave nectar.
Frequently Asked Questions
My recipe uses a mixture of orange and grapefruit juice, as well as pomegranate and white grape juice. These flavors combine to resemble the zesty, citrus flavor of Aperol.
This Aperol Spritz mocktail only has 43 calories per serving, and is both gluten and dairy free as well!
What To Serve With Your Italian Mocktail:
📽 If you love entertaining at home, subscribe to my YouTube channel!!
No Alcohol Aperol Spritz
- Aperol Glasses
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice + a small 2" long peel
- 3-5 Fresh sage leaves
- 3-4 Fresh thyme sprigs
- ¾ cup Orange juice
- ¾ cup Grapefruit juice
- ½ Pomegranate juice
- ½ White grape juice
- 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups Seltzer water
- Add your lemon juice, peel and herbs to a glass and muddle them together using a muddler. This step is important and will help to release those delicious flavors.
- Add muddled goodness to a cocktail shaker with ice along with the rest of ingredients except for the tonic water.
- Shake for 10 seconds and strain into 4 glasses with ice. Each glass should be filled about ⅔ of the way up.
- Top with tonic or soda water and garnish with herbs and an orange slice.