This pumpkin pie margarita recipe is one of the best margaritas I have tried! (And I did a 10 part margarita I did on Instagram this summer.)
It's the perfect way to enjoy the popular summer tequila based drink in the fall! It's made with warm, comforting fall flavors such as REAL pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spices and sweetened with maple syrup that makes it stand out from those other fall cocktails.
They are easy, classy and couldn't be more festive for serving at Halloween or Thanksgiving this year!
🛒 Ingredient Tips:
pumpkin puree- This is what adds a deliciously creamy fall flavor. Make sure to not get pumpkin pie filling.
silver tequila- Any tequila will work!
orange juice- I suggest using freshly squeezed for the best flavor. Lime juice is typically used in a margarita but orange goes much better with pumpkin.
Cointreau- If you do not have Cointreau, you can use any of these alternatives.
maple syrup- This will sweeten up your margarita bringing deeper molasses rich notes to the table.
pumpkin pie spice- With cinnamon, close, all spice, nutmeg and ginger, you will feel like your're sipping on a pumpkin pie.
📃 NOTE: Recipe card with exact quantities and detailed instructions are below! Print it out for later!
1. Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake until the pumpkin puree is well mixed.
2. Pour into a lowball glass with an ice ball and enjoy!
3. Optional: Garnish with an orange rind and cinnamon stick.
Tips For Making Your Pumpkin Margarita
-If you want a sweeter margarita, add more orange juice or more syrup.
-For a spicier version, add a jalapeno pepper to the shaker.
-Not a fan of tequila? You can also make this with vodka or bourbon!
-Shaking it is a must for the pumpkin puree to blend properly.
Using Pumpkin Puree
I only suggest using 100% PURE pumpkin puree. Don't be tempted to use pumpkin pie filling which will make your cocktail much sweeter.
You can purchased canned pumpkin from any grocery store in the baking aisle or you can make your own pumpkin puree!
I like Libby's Canned Pumpkin Puree but you can use any pureed pumpkin you have.
Best Tequila For A Pumpkin Margarita
Tequila can get quite expensive so don't go crazy buying the most pricey bottle out there. Those higher end tequilas are best for sipping straight.
Know that there are many TYPES of tequila out there such as blanco, reposado, añejo, and cristalino.
The more popular tequila is silver tequila (aka blanco). It's not aged as long as the others and are recommended for cocktails like margaritas.
On the other hand, reposado tequila, is aged much longer so it's not only smoother, but it has a smokier finish. This can be used as well if you like the added "barrel flavor".
My go-to tequila is:
There is no need to spend more than $50 for a bottle!
Substitutions and Variations
- If you don't have cointreau, you can use Triple Sec any other type of orange liqueur or even just orange juice. Check out these easy triple sec cocktails!
- You can use store bought or homemade pumpkin puree in your margarita.
- If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can use cinnamon or nutmeg instead.
I don't know about you but the garnishes are my favorite part of making cocktails!
It's always important to add garnishes that either balance the cocktail or "show off" what's inside of it. Don't add a lime wedge or cherry just for the heck of it.
For this pumpkin based cocktail, I like any of the following:
🔸Brown sugar to the rim- Add maple syrup to help it stick!
🔸Fresh or dehydrated orange peel or wheel.
🔸Pumpkin slice or peel with a cinnamon stick.
🔸Flaked sea salt mixed with pumpkin pie spice.
🔸Maple syrup coated in course salt.
Make a Large Batch!
Instead, add all ingredients to a large pitcher WITHOUT ICE and mix it up very well. I suggest using a large whisk. You want the pumpkin puree to be blended in well. Store in the fridge. Then, when you're ready to serve, mix again and pour into glasses with ice!
No but it is encouraged. The orange liqueur that adds sweetness and bitterness to balance out the drink.
Yes! I recommend trying my brown sugar simple syrup! It's a perfect substitute for a regular simple syrup but adds a deeper molasses flavor like maple syrup does.
What to Serve With Margaritas
You can go the mexican route, the fall route or a combination of the two. Either way, I have a feeling any of these recipes will be DELICIOUS!
Other Fall Inspired Drinks:
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- 4 ounces silver tequila
- 2 ounces orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 ounce maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice together on one plate and the maple syrup on another plate.
- Dip the rim of your margarita glass into the syrup followed by the sugar spice mix.
- Place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes while shaking up margarita.
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain into your margarita glass and garnish with cinnamon stick, anise pods, more pumpkin pie spice, or whipped cream!