There's nothing quite like a refreshing whiskey cocktail on a hot summer day. I call this drink a Blackberry Smash! It's perfect for sipping by the pool or outdoor BBQ when you want something a little bit stronger than your average iced tea or lemonade.
Stay home this summer and lounge by the pool with this refreshing whiskey cocktail. All you need is some good-quality bourbon, mint, fresh blackberries and a few other simple ingredients.
This recipe is for one drink, but you can easily make a pitcher cocktail for a group. Just multiply the ingredients as needed.
🥂Need to sharpen your hostess skills? Check out my BEST tips for entertaining friends!
- Simple Syrup: Try my incredibly easy strawberry simple syrup recipe.
- Mint: Fresh mint is an absolute must for this recipe. You could also use basil instead.
- Blackberries: Fresh is a must. Frozen will work if you need.
- Limes: You will definitely want to use fresh limes for this recipe.
- Bourbon: Be sure to use good-quality bourbon. I highly recommend Kentucky bourbon.
- Ginger Beer/Sparking water: This is optional but adds a delicious fizzy taste that makes it much more refreshing in the summer.
How To Make Your Whiskey Cocktail
- Add your blackberries, mint, lime juice and simple syrup along with a few ice cubes to a cocktail shaker or glass and muddle using a muddler.
- Fill the rest of the shaker with ice (crushed ice works great) and add the bourbon.
- Use a spoon to stir all of the ingredients until they are mixed and very cold.
- Use a fine strainer to strain the drink into a glass with ice.
- Garnish the drink with some fresh mint leaves.
📝 Substitutions and Variations
Herbs- you can use fresh basil leaves instead if you do not have any mint on hand. Both would be delicious! Thyme or rosemary would also be tasty.
Citrus- any citrus would work! Try lemons or oranges!
Fruit- Try muddling other berries, cranberries, dates, apricots, peaches, apples, or pineapple for another delicous whiskey smash!
- If you're feeling fancy, you can even garnish your drink with a mint sprig or a lime wedge. You could also try some edible flowers or a lime peel spiral.
- This drink is best served cold, so be sure to have plenty of ice on hand.
- This drink is best served in an old fashioned glass like these lowball glasses.
- For some extra sweetness and flavor, try adding some maple syrup.
- Try using fancy ice cubes to make this cocktail more upscale.
🍸Looking for some other classic cocktails to try? Give this Paper Plane Cocktail a shot!
What does a Bourbon Smash taste like?
The flavor of a bourbon smash is quite close to a whiskey sour or traditional whiskey smash. The only distinction is that a smash uses the actual citrus and muddles it to extract the juice for a stronger citrus flavor that's perfect in the summer.
What are the differences between whisky and bourbon?
Whiskey is a distilled alcohol that is matured in wooden barrels and created from grains like corn and rye. Bourbon is a type of whiskey, and it is matured in brand-new, charred oak barrels. Both are brown liquors and similar in taste.
Other summer drinks you might like:
Summer Whiskey Cocktail
- ¾ ounce simple syrup (see note)
- 8-10 blackberries (about ½ cup)
- 3-4 large mint leaves
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- splash ginger beer (OR soda water or seltzer water, chilled)
- fresh mint and blackberries (for garnish)
- Add blackberries, mint leaves, lime juice and simple syrup to the bottom of a cocktail shaker or glass. Muddle to release the blackberry juices and mint oils. Be careful not to over-muddle as the mint may become bitter.
- Transfer to a shaker if not already and add bourbon. Fill with ice, and shake until well-chilled. Strain into a rocks/lowball glass filled with ice.
- Top with ginger beer, club soda or seltzer water. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs and a blackberry.